Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Singapore Airlines Interview Experience

Heyyhoo!!

Satu lagi sharing interview of being flight attendant, kali ini gue pengen sharing pengalaman gue dulu ketika test di SQ a.k.a Singapore Airlines :).

source

# Day 1
Berbeda dengan Garuda, pendaftaran SQ tidak perlu dilakukan dan di-submit secara online (based on my exp. in April 2013) all you gotta do is just download the form and just print it, then you may fill the information columns.

So Actually when I decided to have my initial interview with SQ I was already on background check stage in Garuda Indonesia, but as a person whose curiosity is pretty high, for me it was nothing to lose. The interview was held in Jakarta Design Center, 3rd floor and I was late
but since it was an open recruitment started from 09:00 am - 03:00 pm so you are free to choose what time you're comfortable with. When I arrived on set, all those beautiful girls were in line waiting their name to be called. So here's the thing, when you're arrived you need to sign the attendance list to get the waiting number, then you'll be called in group of ten to hand your documents (your degree certificate, and etc), if the documents aren't as required -they were pretty strict with it- you might ended up going home with nothing, so make sure everything is there!

After handing the docs. you'll wait your turn to be measured! yep it's your BMI check, and they're tough! Many people were sent home on that time due to lack of documents or even their body mass index weren't fulfilled the requirements. When you have passed the BMI check, you'll have to wait for mass interview session.

# Mass interview session. Here you'll be paired with 9 other people which makes 10 of you. You will be interviewed by 2 interviewers in a not-so-small-yet-not-so-big meeting room. They asked us to introduce ourselves continued by "what do you think of service excellence?". From this session thanks to Lord I passed with another girl, the rest of eight didn't make it through :(. My suggestion: be confidence and own your body, be assertive! It's not your answer that matters, it's the way you answer that matters.

When you're passed on the mass interview, you'll have the English test and you gotta make a short essay. As I remember the time given were pretty limited, so you better finish the test then moving on to the essay. What I like from SQ interview management is they're straight forward, they announce on spot whether or not you make it, they don't hang your hope and make you wondering all night long to hear the news. Soon after I collect my paper to the lady, she told me that I passed to the next session which was "one on one interview", then she told me the information regarding time and place then she wished me good luck :).

As far as I remember I was sooo happy to make it that far, because my friend during interview in Garuda told me that SQ interview was pretty hard, she tried two times and did make it to mass interview session. I was happy knowing that I can prove myself I'm able to make it that far.

***

# Day 2
One on One Interview.
I was rushing I was late, my session suppose to be at 02:00 pm, and it was 02:02 pm, alright maybe I exaggerated the time, but still since it was "the interview" which makes it worse, but eventually I managed to arrive on time (well maybe not on time, but proper time I suppose) and the man pleases me to get in the room. When I walked to the room, there was the lady who interviewed me during the mass interview, she somewhat catch a cold, but then she welcomed me and the interview began.

She handed me a small paper, and asked me to read it clear and loud. After I finished the reading session, she asked me to answer the question based on the case (yup it's a case as if we're the flight attendant of SQ and the issue based on the paper given), soon after I finished the question the personal interview began, she pretty much asked me about my family, my job, my college, my experiences, and even we two laughed at some point but I can't remember what topic that I discussed, it turned out a really warm interview. When the lady said that it's done, she walked me until the door, and the man who waited outside told me to wait 5 mins to hear the news, soon after he told me that I passed to the final interview with the BOD of SQ.

***

Here's the thing, the final interview was 1 month later after the one on one, during that time I already accepted in Garuda Indonesia, that time I have nothing to lose while waiting the final interview.


source
# One Month later / Day 3
Final Interview.
From thousand of girls only 30 left to this stage, I'm pretty proud of myself actually :), and prepare my best, the final interview was held at Ritz Carlton Kuningan, it was a fancy hotel near my headquarter pwc office that time, I arrived a little bit too early, so I decided to have lunch with my boyfriend. Finished eating we went back to Ritz Carlton Kuningan, and I filled the forms and handed another documents as required. In this session we were wearing the amazing "batik" uniform of SQ, when I looked in the mirror, it was so pretty on me :). When wearing this uniform the bag and gadgets weren't allowed to the room, so no one got to take a picture with the SQ uniform, and yeah the skin check was held on spot, and another final  BMI check! Yup, they recheck your body weight and another height check!

Unfortunately the odd start happening here, my friend was checked by the checker and her height turned out not as the requirement minimum height, pitty! yep she failed at this test but they let her had the final interview first before announcing that she's failed at this particular stage :(.

And the last person was me, so my BMI got rechecked and I got my skin checked, and the checker notice that I still wear my braces, and she asked how long my braces would be taken off, so I answer till next week. (I lied lol). So after I finished my skin check they let me have my final interview in the next room, and there were two men (seems like they are the manager or senior manager) they asked me to introduce myself in Japanese and in Dutch since I wrote that I can (barely) speak those languages. It was a pretty relax interview though yet my heart beat was somehow still beating like crazy, as if it'll come outside and burst explode and mess the whole room covered with blood of my heart! lol what a psycho imagination.. well moving on, after almost the longest 10 or 15 minutes interview in my life, finally I went to the previous room where I exchange the uniform. After my exchange done, I went back to the waiting room and saw all those "passed" girls filling their forms and contracts whilst me just sat there waiting the news awkwardly staring the girls in jealousy lol no, just staring them awkwardly since I didn't know what to do, and yeah the lady showed up! AHH finally.. so basically what I remember she said this to me:

"Hi Shandy, how are you? how was the interview? so let me be clear, the BOD really like you but unfortunately... (my heart stop beating my body stiff, but somehow I managed my smile still on).. you are wearing braces, which is for us it's intolerable, so you're not rejected but you got postponed for the next final interview! What you need to do is email me when you took your braces off and stating that you are now looking pretty without the braces and ready to have another final interview, since the interviewer would be different than this one, so I wish you best of luck!"

.... For a moment in my life that just sounded not real enough it was so surreal, did I just misheard or what? I started to blame myself, why didn't I took my braces earlier? yeah but finally I can process that information and I was thinking, well I have GA on my grip and this one is my nothing to lose interview, so I should be glad that I know where my competency and how capable I am of something. After all everything is beautiful and meant to be in my life, and I cannot be grateful enough for where I am right now :)).

***

fyi: SQ emailed me to join their final interview (where I suppose to attend due to my pending case) but in that time I already graduated my ground training in GA.

So good luck for you girls who are/will be facing the SQ final interview, make sure your height doesn't change, you took your braces off and stay pretty and beautiful, and Best of luck for you out there, and let's share our experience of being International Flight Attendant  ;)

Love, Shan-

16 comments:

  1. Jadi inget pas final interview ak deg degan banget..mondar mandir ga karuan hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm preparing the SQ interview ,just occasionally search ur blog:)
    May I ask u how you answer the question "what do you think of service excellent?
    and what kind of the senario question u get?
    ( a case as if u were the flight attendant of SQ and the issue based on the paper given)

    want to take your experience as a reference:) appreciate you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hi there :)

      Sorry for the late reply been flying to one to another places :))
      Anyway for my question regarding service excellent I can't remember my precise answer but I think the answer has no wrong or right, its just they wanna see your truly opinion about service from your perspective. And for me it was the way we taking care to each other?? I'm sure that was my answer, pretty simple isn't it?

      And for the case, i was given a situation where there's infant crying during flight and its irritated other pax, and how we manage the situation.
      If you ask me what was my answer, i didn't know as well, i was nervous and I cannot even remember what was my clear answer due to my level of nervous lol, but i think I said that I would try to talk to the mother and give candy to the infant??

      Delete
  3. Hi, do you know whats their BMI requirement?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How tall are you and your friend (who was rejected)? I've heard of girls shorter than 158cm getting in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ihhh Shandyyykuuu �� im very proud of you!! Seneng deh baca cerita pengalaman km.. Itu tandanya km memang dijodohkan untuk mengabdi di Industri Penerbangan Negara tercinta -Indonesia �� good luck for yr adorable job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, i wanna try this SIA walk in interview, but my eyes aren't normal.. i have quite big minus.. In SIA web, there's no requirement saying that your eyes have to be normal.. So, is it okay? since i wear contact Lens.. Looking forward to your answer.. Thanks.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. my!!! is that because you have a lucky charm or something, pal? lol jk. i was looking for informaton bout this FA stuff then i ended in your blog. pretty cool. i mean like you were really born for this, for being a cabin crew. i envy you, i mean it. really. how easy it seems for you. and oh, im Vivi by the way :) 20 years though, college student and planning to join Garuda recruitment. and after read your unbelieveble-yet-amazing experiences, it moves me to try sooner :D youre so lucky girl! and i hope i'll get the same luck as you got ;) thanks for inspiring me even more. xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops a way too late reply, but deeply I hope you manage to do what you love in wherever field of work you enroll. My best wishes to you <3

      Delete
  8. Kak Shandy, kalau ngukur tinggi badan bakal dikurangin nggak ya? Misalnya dikurangin 2 cm gitu.. Soalnya tinggiku pas-pasan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. semoga engga yaaaahhh!! coba aja dulu, ga ada salahnya kok :) Good luck!

      Delete
  9. Halo kak
    Itu essay nya gimana kak? Susah ngk ya?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ka...boleh mnta emailnya g? Mksh

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi ka, kalo di form isian ada working permit, bagaimana mendapatkannya ya?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi kak, boleh minta email kakak? Heheheh masih kuliah skrng dan mau coba jadi flight attendant ( kalo beruntung) btw kulit aku gelap I mean sawo matang

    ReplyDelete